Request a Referral
As your Pediatric Medical Home, we want to partner with you to make sure your child is getting the right care at the right time from the right provider. For most medical issues, our doctors have the training and expertise to evaluate and manage the issue in our office. Occasionally, we will refer your child to a specialist. In that case, we will want to introduce your child's case to the specialist, as well as help you manage and coordinate your child's care.
With that in mind, it is important that you schedule an appointment with us first so that we can evaluate your child and help coordinate any needed care with a specialist.
If we refer your child to a specialist for a medical concern addressed in a visit, follow these steps to make sure that your child gets the best care and you optimize your insurance coverage:
- check with your insurance to determine which specialists accept your insurance
- ask your insurance carrier if your plan requires that we contact them to obtain an insurance referral to send to the specialist
- call the specialist to schedule your child's appointment (Exception – our office will contact Birth to 3, Yale University, Columbia University and CCMC Pediatric departments on your behalf.)
- inform (portal or call) Village Pediatrics when the appointment is scheduled with the specialist and if an insurance referral is needed.
- Portal or call Village Pediatrics if you have not heard back from the specialist to schedule an appointment within a week of referral.
If you need a follow-up referral for a medical concern already addressed by one of our pediatricians, please follow these steps:
- portal or call Village Pediatrics to let us know your child needs to see the specialist for a follow-up so your child's pediatrician can approve the referral.
- call the specialist to schedule the appointment
- portal or call Village Pediatrics to let us know your child's scheduled appointment date and if your insurance plan required a referral.